• Non stick cooking spray
• 16g gelatine powder (1 TBS + 2 ¾ tsp)
• 60g cold water (to bloom gelatine)
• 330g granulated sugar (castor)
• 210g light corn syrup
• 60g water (for sugar syrup)
• Small pinch of salt
• 1tsp vanilla paste/extract
• Food colour (optional) – I also like swirling caramel/dulce de leche into it :)
• 1 cup icing sugar
• 1 packet Digestive biscuits
• Nutella or melted chocolate
1. Liberally spray a cake in or baking tray with non-stick cooking spray
2. Place granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt and 60ml water into a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook without stirring until mixture reaches 114 degrees (C’) on a candy thermometer (about 8-9 minutes)
3. Meanwhile, place cold water (60ml) into the bowl of an electric mixer; sprinkle with gelatine. Let soften (bloom) for 5 or so minutes.
4. Attach bowl with gelatine to mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Once the sugar syrup has reached 114ºC remove from heat, let the bubbles subside for about 15-20 seconds.
5. Start the mixer on a slow speed and slowly pour hot sugar syrup and then increase speed to high. Beat for about 10-12 minutes or until no longer steaming and the mixture is light, fluffy and the bowl is warm to touch. Beat in vanilla partway through. If you would like you can whisk food colouring in.
6. Quickly pour marshmallow into greased tray and smooth as best as possible.
7. If desired, swirl some food colouring on the top to make an appealing effect---
Set aside at room temperature, uncovered, until firm, around 2-3 hours
8. Sift icing sugar onto worksurface. Unmould marshmallow (it should just peel away) onto the sugar, coat with icing sugar to remove any stickiness.
9. With a sharp knife, lightly brush with oil and then cut marshmallows into large squares or circles. Roll each square/circle in icing sugar to coat all sides.
**Marshmallows can be stored in an airtight container for up to 10 days at room temperature, however,
I keep mine in the fridge just to ensure food safety. They can be kept up to 3 weeks – if they last that long!
1. After marshmallows are prepared: smear Nutella on one side of one of the digestive biscuits. On the other, place the marshmallow and toast using the Trade Flame Butane Power Gas Heating Torch until golden and heated
*If you want, you can slightly heat marshmallow in the microwave (5 seconds) or in the oven to ensure middle is completely soft.
2. Place Nutella biscuit on top and enjoy!